WHY JOIN BALLARD MARINE CONSTRUCTION?
Ballard Marine Construction is a specialty marine and underwater contractor based in Washougal, WA, with regional offices and projects throughout North America.
Why join Ballard? It’s simple. Our projects are as diverse as our culture is collaborative. The Site Safety Manager isn’t pigeon-holed as “Safety.” They are integral to the team and participate from the outset by preparing our team members for success. “Get the job done!” is a reality at Ballard. But we do it with Quality, Efficiency, and Safety sharing equal value. Basically, we “get the job done” well and safely.” Family-owned and team-run, you’ll get the opportunity to do all that you can and want to do, with tons of room for professional growth. It’s really that simple. You want to work here. Really.
Position Summary: The Site Safety Manager will be responsible for the overall safety and health management of project personnel and contractors in compliance with company and client safety policies and programs. This position involves the tracking of metrics, directing the Site Safety Leads, coordinating Contractors, and oversight of the LBD Safety Management System.
The Site Safety Manager will coordinate the onsite Safety Leads, develop programs, support the Project Management Team’s Safety Management Program, assist site management and supervisory personnel with inspections, incident recordkeeping and investigation, tracking and reporting of safety performance indicators, and identification and correction of hazardous conditions and behaviors. This position will report directly to Ballard’s onsite Project Safety Manager for site safety, health, environmental, and compliance needs and will report indirectly to Ballard’s Western Region Safety Manager for safety performance updates, corrective actions, safety initiatives, and support.
- • Maintain a courteous and professional manner with co-workers, the client, regulators, and members of the public.
- • The ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- • Possess a strong attention to detail and superior organizational and time management skills.
- • Highly self-motivated with the ability to self-manage.
- • Willing and able to work on a typical construction schedule as an exempt employee.
- • Possess a strong desire to help people by creating and continuously improving a safe work environment with the ability to establish relationships and achieve desired results.
- • Willingness and ability to work in a team environment and assist co-workers with other duties as required.
- • Empathy – You wouldn’t have read this far if empathy wasn’t part of your DNA.
Education & Certifications:
- • Degree in occupational safety or industrial hygiene with focus on construction, preferred.
- • CHST preferred.
- • OSHA 30-hour training required.
- • CPR, AED, First Aid Certification (trainer preferred)
- • Minimum five (5) years of safety-related experience in the construction or marine industries; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- • Prior work history as a commercial diver, or in a position with safety oversight of commercial diving operations subject to ADCI and/or USCG standards preferred
- • Assist onsite management and supervisory personnel with safety and health compliance through education, training, auditing and implementation of company compliance initiatives and programs.
- • Manage site safety staff. This include scheduling, evaluations, data collection and communication, and serve as Safety Lead as necessary to relieve staff.
- • Complete and manage all aspects of site-specific health and safety documentation, record keeping and retention and may assist with HR paperwork as needed.
- • Chair the site Safety Committee. Administer the site Safety Committee meetings, track actions for follow-up and documentation.
- • Perform safety observations daily and throughout working shifts and providing project management and frontline personnel with recommendations for safety performance improvements and compliance.
- • Liaison with Contractors to ensure timely submittal of contract and compliance documents.
- • Strive to develop and maintain a positive safety culture onsite and develop positive working relationships with all levels of employees and contractors.
- • Attend and often lead toolbox meetings and provide relevant safety information for weekly training sessions.
- • Prepare and present weekly site safety meetings.
- • Assist with the development and distribution of safety publications and literature, including maintaining and updating the project’s Health and Safety Plan.
- • Conduct periodic in-depth compliance audits of work areas and operations, documenting findings and working with project management to set appropriate timelines to address deficiencies. Track resolution of action items and report to the Site Management Team.
- • Manage all site safety training requirements for project personnel.
- • Coordinate Contractor conflict and resolve issues of overlap.
- • Conduct incident investigations and root cause analysis following any incidents involving project personnel, equipment or subcontractors.
- • Perform injury and incident management, which will include direct communication and participation with the Safety Manager for Workers Compensation claims administration.
- • Other duties as assigned.
- • May supervise project safety officers or interns as delegated by the Regional HSE Manager.
Physical Demands / Working Environment:
- • Ability to remain out of doors for long periods of time in various seasons and conditions.
- • Work will take place around water; working on small vessels and barges off and near shore.
- • Ability to climb ladders, work at heights, walk and stand on uneven surfaces, ride or work from a barge, pier, vessel, etc.
- • Ability to sit, stand, kneel, squat, push, pull, etc. for varying amounts of time.
- • Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds for short distances.
- • Ability to wear personal protective clothing and equipment including, but not limited to, respirators and fall protection.
- • Applicants must have dependable transportation and be capable of flight on various types of aircraft
Ballard offers a comprehensive benefits package and provides a culture that values opportunities for growth, development, and internal promotion. Benefits include employer-paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, PTO, 401K Plan with employer match, paid holidays, and so much more!!
EEO Statement: :
Ballard Marine Construction, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be considered for qualified individuals with a disability if it does not create an undue hardship for the Company, consistent with the ADA as amended.
Job Type: Exempt
Here’s the link to our careers page if that helps – https://tfc-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&id=23&jobid=739&company_id=17356&version=2&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=992366&level=levelid1&levelid1=36333&startflag=2