Central Washington University, located in Ellensburg, WA, seeks a nine-month, full time, tenure-track, Assistant Professor to teach in the Safety and Health Management (SHM) Program. CWU offers Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Safety and Health Management; Bachelor’s and Applied Bachelor’s degrees in Risk, Insurance, and Safety Management; and minors and certificates in both disciplines. The ideal candidate will have the expertise to teach across all the areas/programs with a mix of in-person and online courses. We seek an individual demonstrating dedication to innovation and excellence in teaching and a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. The goal of the program is to prepare students for careers in occupational safety and health, risk, and insurance management in the industrial, private business, construction, and public employment sectors of the economy. Faculty will integrate CWU’s commitment to diversity in teaching, scholarship, and service, and create a learning environment that is welcoming, accessible, and inclusive for all students.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students’ Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You’ll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing for ~10,000 students, health services, police and public safety.
For the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here. www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdhOegDa9A
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-perks-discounts.
– Serve as the program coordinator for the BS-SHM program.
– Teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses including but not limited to core occupational safety and health courses, risk management courses and 100-level courses in the University’s general education program.
– Engage in curriculum revision and improvement that promotes student success, preparation of new courses or substantial revision of existing courses; ensure curriculum and underlying pedagogy is inclusive and promotes equity.
– Develop and carry out strategies to promote program growth. Recruit, engage, and mentor students from diverse communities.
– Maintain an active program of university-supported scholarship (research) leading to publication and formal presentations in the safety field, or leading to external funding recognizing the faculty member’s current or potential contribution to his/her field.
– Participate in Program, Department, College, University and Community service.
– Assist in the recruitment of new SHM & RISM majors, and actively participate in the major application screening process.
– Provide academic advising for existing and prospective SHM/RISM students.
– Participate in program review, assessment, and accreditation activities.
– Support the student chapters, sections, or clubs associated with the programs.
– Recruit, engage, and mentor students from diverse communities.
– Participate in facilitating job opportunities for students by establishing and maintaining industry contacts, especially the insurance and risk management industry.
– Participate in the program’s industry advisory council.
– Develop industry partnerships that promote inclusion and equity.
– Obtain and maintain relevant professional certifications.
– Perform other related duties as assigned to support the program and the department.
- Master’s degree in Risk Management and Insurance, Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Health, Environmental Management, or strongly related area.
- Minimum five years of applied industry experience in risk management/ insurance, occupational safety and health, or industrial hygiene.
- Professional work experience, research, teaching, service, or other experience that has prepared the candidate to contribute to CWU’s commitment to the engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse students.
- Strong background in Risk Management and Insurance.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Strong interpersonal communication and public speaking skills.
- Excellent organizational and management skills.
- Relevant certifications such as Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or similar certifications issued by nationally accredited credentialing bodies.
- Experience working in partnership with an industry advisory board and key external stakeholders in multiple industry sectors.
- Operational knowledge of applicable safety and health-related instruments and equipment.
- Experience teaching both online and in-person courses.
- An earned doctoral degree related to content area(s) of courses to be taught.
- Experience in program review and accreditation such as ABET.
- Experience working in a diverse environment and/or utilizing a variety of teaching methods designed for broad student success.
- Potential to mentor and educate students who will serve diverse populations.
- Experience in curriculum development and improvement that includes diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Ability to incorporate multicultural perspectives and issues into curriculum and classroom conversations.
- Experience with a range of age levels, diverse populations, and rural settings.
- Demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for students through teaching and/or mentoring activities.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
Appointment: Full-Time, Tenure-Track, 9 Month Appointment. Additional summer teaching may be available. Central Washington University is on the quarter system with appointments from mid-September through mid-June.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance.
Additional Information: For additional information about the University, visit: http://www.cwu.edu
For additional information about Ellensburg, visit: http://www.myellensburg.com
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience (please address all three items in your cover letter): (1) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, (2) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting, and (3) detail how your work experience, teaching, service and/or scholarship has supported students or workers from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in their academic fields (applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience should note how their work will further CWU’s commitment to diversity) ;
- Curriculum Vitae including work history, education, training and contact information for three professional references;
- Statement of teaching philosophy;
- Summary of related field and work experience (Attachment Type: Other);
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of three or more current references; and
- Copy of transcripts for highest degree held;
Screening Begins: October 31, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled
**NOTE: Although copies of transcripts are acceptable for application purposes, all job offers are contingent upon verification of highest degree. Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21.14.1, CWU employees are to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of October 2021. Your vaccination status will be verified if/when a job offer is made. Information about how to apply for medical and religious accommodations are available here: www.cwu.edu/hr/. Failure to meet the vaccination policy (or approval of a medical or religious accommodation) will result in revocation of the offer.
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to sign a Sexual Misconduct disclosure in pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080 and submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
The conditions of employment with Central Washington University are set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Central Washington University and United Faculty of Central, University policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal laws.
The Collective Bargaining Agreement may be found here: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/labor-relations/ufc.