Job Title: Safety Specialist
Reports to: Health and Safety Manager
The Safety Specialist is a vital part of the team supporting site leadership and the facility health and safety process. They interact daily with managers, supervisors and front-line employees learning about and helping mitigate hazards and prevent incident and injury. The safety team is integrated with the mill workforce to provide health and safety observation, education, and support.
About Port Townsend Paper Corporation (PTPC)
The Port Townsend Paper (“PTPC”) mill has been in continuous operation for over 90 years. We operate on a continuous basis to produce OCC and kraft pulp which is used to manufacture linerboard, kraft paper, corrugating medium and market pulp. We have built a strong and loyal customer base by developing and nurturing strategic partnership-style relationships.
The PTPC team is dedicated to creating an engaging and positive work environment and we strive to preserve the environment as well as be good neighbors and a valued member of the local community. Many of our employees have enjoyed working for the greater part of their careers; we have employees with 20, 25, 30, even 35 years of service.
- • Provides reports of daily safety activities: area safety visits, audits, investigations.
- • Assists with management of the mill safety process.
- • Disseminates safety information to the mill workforce using varied media and direct training.
- • Audits and coaches employees to sustain mill safe operation technique and processes.
- • Provides administrative support to the Health and Safety Manager, including building communications, scheduling safety meetings, creating safety meeting content, and recordkeeping and filing as required.
- • Delivers employee safety training as assigned.
- • Performs safety walkthrough inspections, noting improper procedures, unsafe work practices, and checks equipment and facilities for hazards. Recommends and implements corrective actions.
- • Conducts incident investigations and assists with incident analysis.
- • Supports investigation of workers compensation claims.
- • Supports inspections performed by regulatory agencies.
- • Participates in safety committees, safety meetings, and contractor safety meetings.
- • Maintains current knowledge of applicable federal, state, county and city safety regulations, guidelines, standards, and relating to safe work practices.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- • Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- • Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- • Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- • Incident investigation to include Root Cause Analysis.
- • Familiarity with implementation and management of behavior-based safety systems
- • Accountability, sound decision-making, time management, prioritization.
- • Ability to effectively respond to emergencies, constantly evolving situations, deadlines, or working conditions.
- • Promotion of safety culture in the work environment.
- • Proficiency with Microsoft Windows Office suite software, EHS database use and management.
- • Four years professional experience in the occupational safety and health field, or two years paper mill health and safety experience.
- • Experience implementing safety regulations from the State Department of Labor & Industries and federal OSHA.
- • Thorough knowledge of workplace industrial safety principles, procedures and training practices.
- • Possess excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to cultivate strong and collaborative relationships across all levels of the workplace.
- • Experience developing training material and conducting safety training.
- • Experience managing and maintaining EHS recordkeeping to track EHS events, self-assessments, inspections, training, metrics, risk assessments, and corrective actions.
- • Familiarity with OSHA’s HAZWOPER standard. Experience as a member of emergency response teams a plus.
- • Bachelor’s degree in industrial or occupational hygiene, public health, occupational safety, environmental health, engineering, or related field.
- • Certified Safety Professional, Associate Safety Professional, Graduate Safety Practitioner or similar accreditation preferred but not required.
- • Ability to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and be able to lift up to 40lbs.
- • Vision abilities required to perform this job include close vision.
Work Schedule & Environment
- • Full-time exempt position.
- • Normal work schedule is Monday-Friday dayshift with occasional additional time as needed, including some weekend and evening on-call duties.
- • Occasionally exposed to production and maintenance elements such as noise, dust, fumes, and odors.
- • Ability to use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, etc.
- • Competitive compensation.
- • A comprehensive health care plan including prescription, vision care, life insurance, and dental plan.
- • Retirement plan.
- • Employee Assistance coverage with full services, including dietary and nutritional services, retirement planning, and support services.
- • Paid time off.
- • Relocation assistance.
Application materials may be uploaded electronically:
Or by emailing an updated cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please provide three current professional references qualified to assess your experience and ability to perform the duties specified.
Port Townsend Paper Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free workplace.