PARR is the single and total source for home building supplies, solutions, and service for professional home builders of large and mid-sized communities and single custom homes, and for motivated homeowners working on home improvement projects. Our customers and community members know they can rely on us to be the total source of home building supplies and solutions with legendary customer service and quality products.
Headquartered in Hillsboro, PARR has grown considerably from its start in 1930 as a single lumberyard, to one of the Pacific Northwest’s most respected brands.
We know that without great people, we can’t be a great company. Voted the sixth top place to work in Oregon in 2022, we offer industry-leading benefits:
- Everyone starts earning 2 weeks of vacation per year on day 1, and gains an additional day every year worked up to 4 weeks off
- Employee paid sick days
- 7 holidays
- 2 medical plan options, one with no paycheck deduction (HSA) and our standard plan with a very low $1,250 deductible
- Dental, Vision, EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- Massage, Chiropractic and Acupuncture coverage
- FSA (Flexible Spending Account) and Childcare pretax spending programs
- HSA (Health Savings Account) – PARR will match up to $600/year
- Up to 50% match on the first 6% you contribute to your 401(k) after 1 year of employment and fully vested at the end of your 3rd year
- In addition to the 401(k) match, there a 3% profit share contribution to the 401(k), with Board approval
- Tuition reimbursement (up to $2,500/year)
- Annual profit sharing (every full time employee who worked the full year earned a minimum of $2,750 for the 2022 year)
- $1,000 referral bonus
We have a transparent pay structure, and love to promote from within. Our current CEO started with the company as a driver and by being open to change and a self-starter he climbed the ranks to the role he has today. There are many members of our management team who started their careers in our entry-level positions. If you’re willing to work hard, there’s no reason you won’t earn regular merit increases and promotions. There is a LOT of opportunity – PARR is growing fast!
We value our employees like family and are constantly working to provide a safe place to work for our employees. Most of our locations are not open past 5 and all our locations are closed on Sundays.
Our company mission is Legendary Service through Teamwork, and we take that seriously. When you join our team, you’re joining a family owned company that’s been in business for 90 years, with a well-established reputation as a leader within the building material supply industry in the United States.
The Safety and Risk Manager for PARR is responsible for developing, leading, managing and executing policies, procedures, and training programs that promote and strengthen the company’s safety culture. The Safety and Risk Manager works collaboratively with all Lumber, Manufacturing and Warehouse Managers, Sales Managers, Facilities, Fleet and Human Resources taking a lead role in the development and implementation of risk control initiatives to mitigate loss and impact to The PARR Company and all employees. This role is vital to fulfilling our mission of Legendary Service Through Team Work.
The Safety and Risk Manager reports directly to the Director of HR and works closely with the Yard Managers, Drivers and other yard personnel. This position is at our headquarters in Hillsboro, OR.
Salary starts at $97,850 – $108,150 a year plus short term incentive (STI).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaboratively refine and further enhance the comprehensive risk management and loss control program for PARR Company; coordinate risk programs with leadership and internal stakeholders
- Build support and visibility for programs and initiatives obtaining stakeholder buy-in on program goals and objectives
- Work with Stakeholders to establish health and safety policies and implement companywide risk awareness, loss prevention and exposure control programs. Evaluate existing programs to ensure effectiveness and compliance with Federal, State, and Local Laws
- Clearly communicate the priority of health and safety as it relates to other important business priorities, and create informed champions by making sure all employees have a sound understanding of and embrace health and safety best practices
- Develop a comprehensive safety training program in conjunction with internal stakeholders. Determine employees’ health and safety training needs for specific jobs, coordinate trainings, and ensure employees complete and comprehend all necessary trainings
- Develop a central monitoring system to keep track of employee training, required licenses, and certifications
- Ensure safety committees are established at each location, they function well e.g. meetings are well attended, responsibilities/functions are shared, and the committee meetings are documented with results shared with managers/supervisors for follow up. Ensure structure includes senior management oversight to drive home the importance of health and safety citywide
- Establish safety policies and procedures. Conduct periodic safety and health walk-through inspections of all workplace facilities, equipment, and vehicles. Create basic safety checklists that focus on facilities, materials, substances, and overall safety of employees and the public
- Administer and facilitate investigations of employee accidents, injuries, suggestions, and complaints
- Keep up-to-date on latest trends and laws affecting the industry, undertake a semi-annual self-assessment to ensure program audit standards can be met and maintained, work areas are inspected and equipment and systems are assessed with an eye toward minimizing accidents/injuries
- Continually monitor insurance and safety programs for effectiveness and make changes as appropriate
- Interpret laws and policies; review and analyze changes in state and federal regulations; ensure that all management, safety, and ADA programs are in compliance
- Develop and implement risk control and safety programs with effective financial and operational measures
- Create and deliver comprehensive risk management and safety training programs for diverse groups
- Maintain Workers Compensation function for company, including but not limited to:
- Respond to Worker’s Compensation claims examiner’s inquiries about specific worker’s compensation claims
- Contact injured workers to monitor their recovery and answer questions about worker’s compensation
- Initiate request for light duty approval through insurance carrier
- Apply for light duty reimbursement through the State of Oregon
- Maintain safety files on each employee as required by OSHA, Oregon Bureau of Labor & Industries, and the Washington State Department of Labor
- Coordinate Driver Safety Committee meetings
- Facilitate the flow of accident information and paperwork between the PARR sites and our insurance carriers
- 4-year degree or equivalent experience preferred
- 3+ years’ experience managing and implementing Health and Safety programs
- Broad working knowledge of federal, state, and local safety, health, environmental, and workers’ compensation laws and regulations
- Must have extensive knowledge of DOT Regulation
- Familiar with industry concepts, practices, and procedures
- Extensive knowledge of FMCSA / DOT regulation
- Ability and willingness to change processes, tools and/or procedures in an effort to improve the workplace and outcomes for our customers
- Good verbal, written and presentation skills, with the ability to appropriately interact with employees of all levels, including yard, counter, drivers, managers, senior management, customers, business partners and the general public
- Capable of maintaining professional and positive customer service approach and attitude at all times, even in stressful situations
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage changing priorities, handle multiple projects, meet deadlines and adapt to a changing business environment
- Ability to function independently and collaboratively as part of a team with a positive attitude, strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
- Ability to work, teach, mentor and motivate others expressing ideas effectively with a broad spectrum of individuals from a variety of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work and maintain privacy with sensitive interpersonal and business matters
- Demonstrated experience utilizing MS Office Suite, and project management software
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
The primary working conditions are an office environment with a computer. The job also requires regular work in lumberyard or manufacturing conditions working with employees, potentially in all weather conditions.
The job requires regular travel to all PARR locations in the Northwest. The job is primarily daytime, within a 6am to 6pm window, as a typical 50 hours per week salaried position.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to work indoors in an office environment
- Ability to work outdoors in a lumberyard environment
- Must be able to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds and carry objects 50 feet
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Must be able to drive a company vehicle when necessary
- Both local and overnight travel may be required
To apply – https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/parr/jobs/2801944-555895 or email firstname.lastname@example.org