The Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) organization is seeking a Senior Safety Engineer. In this role, you will be responsible for partnering with Amazon Worldwide Design Engineering teams to ensure new equipment and modifications to existing equipment installed in operational Amazon buildings comply with all applicable codes, regulations and harmonized standards. You will also partner with various engineering, design and operations teams including, Operations Engineering, Reliability and Maintenance Engineering, Business Operations Leaders, Field WHS teams, and other key stakeholders. In addition, you will be required to lead risk assessments, assist in the development and review of equipment designs and provide guidance on requirements on controls and devices. You must be an effective communicator and be able to send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing and possess excellent program management skills. You need to be knowledgeable in control systems, environmental and ergonomic design principles. You must also have applied understanding of regional and international regulations, codes and standards. This role will functionally partner with all engineering teams to drive a systematic approach to address risk identification, mitigation, and management of safety solutions.
This position requires the ability to travel 25-50%
Key job responsibilities
– Complete risk evaluations in accordance with ISO12100 and ANSI B11 practices
– Support the development of policies, standards, training, and safe operating procedures
– Interpret and apply regulations, codes, bylaws, and all relevant standards
– Advise partner engineering organizations and operations teams on regulations, regulatory compliance concerns, and good engineering practices relating to equipment design
– Participate in new standard developments with Engineering, Amazon Robotics, Injury Prevention Specialists, RME, Operations, and other key stakeholders
– Work with various teams to review and approve designs of new equipment and modifications to existing equipment
– Must display improvement projects
– Maintain all regulatory compliance documentation to ensure accurate and up to date adherence to standards
– Participate in the development of new organizational standards
– Managing projects that require certifications that comply with local, national and international regulations
– Knowledge and understanding of equipment certification requirements (CE, UL, etc.) and experience working with NRTLs
– Integration of control systems into the design of new and existing equipment
– Work with WHS safety teams, technical engineering teams and suppliers to specify safety or other risk-related requirements for projects across multiple regions
– Contribute to building a safety culture that enables our technical engineering teams develop safe and compliant products, systems and solutions.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Bellevue, WA, USA
– Bachelor’s degree in engineering, safety or related field
– 6+ years’ experience in safety engineering programs in manufacturing or production environment
– Experience working within a global company, with global or multi-country responsibilities
– Knowledge and understanding of certification bodies for approvals that comply with local, national and international regulations
– Knowledge of the core business systems and/or broad understanding of company systems/ technologies (relevant to safety engineering)
– Working knowledge and experience with National Recognized Test Laboratory (NRTL) and Notified Bodies.
– Deep knowledge of International and EU/NA Standards such as EU Machinery Directive, ISO, ANSI, ISO, NFPA, OSHA, CFR, NFPA.
– Master’s degree preferred – Mechanical, Structural, Electrical or Industrial Engineer
– Distribution Center or Manufacturing experience with mix of exempt and non-exempt employees preferred
– CSME or other functional safety certification
– Demonstrated ability to be flexible, adapting the approach to meet the needs of customers, business and program stakeholders, and engineering teams involved
– Ability to self-manage priorities and deliverables. Flexible in responding to changing demands, goals, timelines, and priorities
– Ability to collaborate and lead in a flexible, detail-oriented, fast-paced team environment in a changing and growing organization
– Ability to interact in a positive and professional manner, excellent critical thinker with problem-solving skills, think big and insist on highest standard while having the ability to work cooperatively in a team setting
– Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
– Excellent written and oral communication skills.
– Ability to adapt well to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, direction, and strategy ·
– Experience engaging regulatory agencies
– Proficiency with Autocad
– Strong ability to represent, verbally and in writing, technical information, risk levels, complex decisions, and potential solutions in clear simple language to business and other stakeholders to enable decision making
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $96,900/year in our lowest geographic market up to $185,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.
To Apply: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/2411888/senior-safety-engineer-workplace-health-safety